Re: automatic system info tool?

From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automatic system info tool?
Date: 2006-07-17 21:10:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How do you do this from a program though. Under UNIX uname() is a
> function call as well as a program. It returns the os name, version,
> hostname and system type.

Multiple methods (TIMTOWTDI) depending on what you want:

my $verstring = `cmd.exe /c ver`;

# or

use Win32;
my ($string, $major, $minor, $build, $id ) = Win32::GetOSVersion;

The environment variables PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE and
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER should provide the basic hardware information.

> Mind you, maybe perl provides emulation for uname?

Not that I know of.