DISTINCT to get distinct *substrings*?

From: Christoph Pingel <ch(dot)pingel(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DISTINCT to get distinct *substrings*?
Date: 2006-08-08 17:36:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello to the list,

here's an SQL question, I hope it's not off topic. From a list of
URLs I want to get only the distinct values of the *web sites* these
URLs belong to, that is everything before and including the 3rd
slash, and I think this should be possible within the DB. I would
like to say something like

SELECT substring(attribute from '^http://[^/]*/') from pg_atp where
attribute like 'http://%'

(which works) but get only the distinct values. SELECT DISTINCT ON
substring.. doesn't work. Probably I haven't understood the semantics
of the DISTINCT keyword. Can anybody help?

thanks in advance
Christoph