Re: Entering '<1' and 'BDL'

From: Tom Keller <kellert(at)ohsu(dot)edu>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Entering '<1' and 'BDL'
Date: 2010-04-20 20:49:10
Lists: pdxpug

Rich,
I was thinking of something like a UV absorbance of a sample too dilute to accurately measure. You would get a reading of 0.04 or something, but since your spectrophotometer is only accurate between say, 0.4 - 3.0, it's essentially noise. Nonetheless, I can tell that by any value below my detection limit, so the value, though not accurate, would distinguish between not measured and measured but below the detection limit.

Similarly, I should think, if you measured something beyond, or off-scale, you could tell that from the value entered too. So for the spectrophotometer example, below 0.4 is noise and above 3.0 is off-scale. So you don't know what their accurate values are, you know they were "too low" to detect, or "too high" to measure with your instrument. But you know something. You then need to filter the records that can't be used for quantitative analysis. But retain them when calculating work done or other qualitative stuff.

That would allow you to use your current schema. Otherwise you need to complicate your schema, don't you?

Tom
kellert(at)ohsu(dot)edu<mailto:kellert(at)ohsu(dot)edu>
503-494-2442