Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Atkinson <andyatkinson(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, samay(at)tembo(dot)io
Subject: Re: An improved README experience for PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-02-28 13:46:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 26 Feb 2024, at 21:30, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I think this would be nice. If the Markdown version is reasonably readable
>> as plain-text, maybe we could avoid maintaining two READMEs files, too.
>> But overall, +1 to modernizing the README a bit.
>
> Per past track record, we change the top-level README only once every
> three years or so, so I doubt it'd be too painful to maintain two
> versions of it.

It wont be, and we kind of already have two since there is another similar
README displayed at https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/. That being said, a
majority of those reading the README will likely be new developers accustomed
to Markdown (or doing so via interfaces such as Github) so going to Markdown
might not be a bad idea. We can also render a plain text version with pandoc
for release builds should we want to.

--
Daniel Gustafsson