Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)
Date: 2007-09-03 09:29:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Aug 31, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:53:06AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> So you'd be happy for *anyone* to organise an event and advertise
>> it as
>> an official PGDG event?
>
> I think my point was rather that "official" events do not, AFAICT,
> exist. There's nobody to make them official. (This is very similar,
> for instance, to "compliance" with RFCs from the IETF: there are no
> protocol police, and there's nobody to certify that anyone "complies"
> with this or that IETF document.)
>
> Consider that there are already companies claiming to do training in
> PostgreSQL who appear to be recommending things that I think are in
> fact bad ideas. Are they illegitimate? Hard to know, and even
> harder to do anything about.

And those companies should be made aware of any issues with their
training material, though perhaps a public forum isn't the best way
to do that.

Having been neck-deep in the creation of training material, it's
certainly not hard for errors to creep in, or for important things to
be left out.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org