RE: jdbc and unix signals

From: Nikk Anderson <Nikk(dot)Anderson(at)parallel(dot)ltd(dot)uk>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: jdbc and unix signals
Date: 2001-07-11 15:49:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Peter Eisentraut writes:
>You can't catch signals in Java, because not all systems have signals.
>You might be able to write native methods to do so, but consider
>reconsidering your design.

You can catch OS signals in java, although there are different signals for
each OS. The following packages have signal functionality: sun.misc.Signal,
sun.misc.SignalHandler.
I have created test programs which can handle various signals sucessfully -
and it is these test programs which work (i.e. catch signals) when no jdbc
driver is loaded, and do not when the driver is loaded.
Check out the following url for a discussion about signals.
http://forums.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=37&thread=70586

Cheers

Nikk