Data file compatibility between 32-bit and 64-bit

From: "Adam Talaat" <adam(at)illumen(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data file compatibility between 32-bit and 64-bit
Date: 2008-01-25 20:05:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Are the database files created by 32-bit PostgreSQL identical to the files
created by 64-bit PostgreSQL? The database files would reside on a SAN or
DAS device external to the servers. If the server running a 64-bit
installation of PostgreSQL were to fail, would we be able to bring a server
running a 32-bit installation online and run it against the original
database files?

We would absolutely not be simultaneously running two instances of the
database against the same database files. My background is with MS SQL
Server, where a database can be "reattached" to a different instance of the
software (although not between 32-bit and 64-bit versions). We would be
running PostgreSQL on RHEL/CentOS 5.

I realize having a separate server is not a sufficient disaster recovery
strategy. We do regular database backups to tape in the event of data
corruption or catastrophic failure.

Replication with Slony-I is also an option, however a complete hot or warm
spare configuration would require additional storage space. Is it possible
to replicate from 64-bit to 32-bit?

If you haven't already guessed, we are trying to save a few dollars by
switching to a capable open source database and running our failover systems
with older 32-bit hardware rather than an identical new 64-bit machine.

Thank you,
Adam Talaat