Re: [BUG] Panic due to incorrect missingContrecPtr after promotion

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Panic due to incorrect missingContrecPtr after promotion
Date: 2022-07-29 15:07:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Any luck with this?

Apologies for the delay, as I have been away.
I will test this next week and report back my findings.

Thanks

Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services (AWS)

On 6/28/22, 2:10 AM, "Kyotaro Horiguchi" <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

I'd like to look into the WAL segments related to the failure.

Mmm... With the patch, xlogreader->abortedRecPtr is valid only and
always when the last read failed record was an aborted contrec. If
recovery ends here the first insereted record is an "aborted contrec"
record. I still see it as the only chance that an aborted contrecord
is followed by a non-"aborted contrec" record is that recovery somehow
fetches two consecutive WAL segments that are inconsistent at the
boundary.

I found the reason that the TAP test doesn't respond to the first
proposed patch (the below).

- if (!StandbyMode &&
+ if (!StandbyModeRequested &&
!XLogRecPtrIsInvalid(xlogreader->abortedRecPtr))

The cause was that I disabled standby-mode in the test. The change
affects only while standby mode is on, which was to make the test
reliable and simpler. The first attached detects the same error (in a
somwhat maybe-unstable way) and responds to the fix above, and also
responds to the aborted_contrec_reset_3.patch.

So, aborted_contrec_reset_3 looks closer to the issue than before.

Would you mind trying the second attached to abtain detailed log on
your testing environment? With the patch, the modified TAP test yields
the log lines like below.

2022-06-28 15:49:20.661 JST [165472] LOG: ### [A] @0/1FFD338: abort=(0/1FFD338)0/0, miss=(0/2000000)0/0, SbyMode=0, SbyModeReq=1
2022-06-28 15:49:20.681 JST [165472] LOG: ### [F] @0/2094610: abort=(0/0)0/1FFD338, miss=(0/0)0/2000000, SbyMode=1, SbyModeReq=1
2022-06-28 15:49:20.767 JST [165472] LOG: ### [S] @0/2094610: abort=(0/0)0/1FFD338, miss=(0/0)0/2000000, SbyMode=0, SbyModeReq=1
2022-06-28 15:49:20.777 JST [165470] PANIC: xlog flush request 0/2094610 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 0/2000088

In this example, abortedRecPtr is set at the first line and recovery
continued to 2094610 but abortedRecPtr is not reset then PANICed. ([A]
means aborted contrec falure. [F] and [S] are failed and succeeded
reads respectively.)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi