Re: Beginning tuning

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Phillip Mills *EXTERN*" <pmills(at)systemcore(dot)ca>
Cc: "Kris Jurka *EXTERN*" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginning tuning
Date: 2007-11-07 13:56:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Phillip Mills wrote:
>> I'd like to add to this that you should only start tuning if
>> you experience a performance problem.
>
> I agree and in this case the top-level problem statement was
> that the application was not making use of available
> processing resources regardless of the load applied.

Available processing resources where?
On the application server?

The problem statement is bad, because why is it a
problem if the resources are not consumed?
The question is: is the response time and the throughput ok?
If not, that would be a real problem.

Are your top-level problem staters just pissed off
because they cannot get the machine in trouble no matter
how much test load they apply?

If you have a performance problem, the first thing you must find
out is where the performance bottleneck is: network,
CPU, I/O, or memory? And on which machine, if there
are more than one. You can continue once you know that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe