Re: Bad Data back Door

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler *EXTERN*" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad Data back Door
Date: 2012-10-09 07:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> As the author I agree that this is a bug in oracle_fdw.

> Thanks. Should I file a report somewhere?

That's not necessary. Thanks for reporting the problem.
It may be a few days until I get around to fix that.

>> Oracle does not care much about correct encoding.

> Yeah, same here. I've been looking into write a function to try
> to fix poorly-encoded data, though, but haven't got far,
> because CONVERT() does not indicate failure. If you have
> any insight on this, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this
> Stack Overflow question:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/q/12717363/79202

The only thing I can think of is a stored procedure in Java.
You could use java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder and
java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder which should throw exceptions
if they encounter illegal bytes.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe