Re: Strange problem with turning WAL archiving on

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "BK *EXTERN*" <bero(at)artsuici(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Strange problem with turning WAL archiving on
Date: 2011-11-30 13:31:41
Lists: pgsql-general

BK wrote:
> I've spent a couple of hours trying some WAL archiving functionality
on PostgrSQL 9.1 (running on Mac
> OS X). I turned on all the needed options as specified in the
documentation:

> wal_level = archive
> archive_mode = on
> archive_command='test ! -f /Volumes/baza/%f && cp %p /Volumes/baza/%f'
>
> I also tried different archive commands, just to see if this is the
case, but every time I try
> starting a backup (as postgres user) I got the following error:
>
> tester=# select pg_start_backup('h');
> ERROR: WAL level not sufficient for making an online backup
> HINT: wal_level must be set to "archive" or "hot_standby" at server
start.

> The postgresql.conf file has all the changes I mentioned above and it
was of course rebooted after the
> changes. I cannot find anything online regarding this issue, seems a
bit strange as all the
> configuration looks all right, but the error is still here.

Verify the current setting with

SELECT setting, source, boot_val, reset_val,
sourcefile, sourceline
FROM pg_settings WHERE name = 'wal_level';

If the setting is not right (which is likely the case), try to find out
the cause.

Did you change the correct postgresql.conf?
Are there more than one lines for wal_level in the file
(try "grep wal_level postgresql.conf")?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe