Re: Configuring Postgresql for writing BLOB at a high-rate

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "WANGRUNGVICHAISRI, SHIVESH *EXTERN*" <sbw(at)appsig(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuring Postgresql for writing BLOB at a high-rate
Date: 2009-07-24 06:14:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

SHIVESH WANGRUNGVICHAISRI wrote:
> The main question is: how do I configure Postgresql such that
> it's most efficient for storing large BLOB at a high-rate?

Refering to what you wrote on the web site you quoted,
I would guess that neither tuning WAL nor tuning logging
will have much effect.

My guess would be that the system will be I/O bound from
writing the large objects to disk, so maybe tuning on the
operating system or hardware level might be most effective.

Notice the use of subjunctive mode in the above.
What you should do is: run your test and find out where
the bottleneck is. Are the disks very busy and do you see
significant I/O-wait? Then you're I/O bound.

In that case you could try tuning the I/O part of the kernel
(you didn't say which operating system) and - easiest of all -
get rid of that RAID-5 and get a RAID-1 of fast disks.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe