Re: DELETE ... RETURNING

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Thomas Kellerer *EXTERN*" <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DELETE ... RETURNING
Date: 2009-07-14 09:47:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> when using the RETURNING clause in a DELETE statement the
> driver throws an error:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: A result was returned when
> none was expected.
>
> The code that I'm using is as follows:
>
> Statement stmt = connection.createStatement();
> stmt.executeUpdate("delete from person where firstname like 'A%' returning id");
>
> Am I missing something or is the "RETURNING" feature not
> supported by the driver?
>
> I'm using postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc3.jar with Java5

That's easy; when you issue an SQL statement that returns a result,
you cannot use executeUpdate(java.lang.String).

Use executeQuery(java.lang.String) or execute(java.lang.String) and then getResultSet().

It does not matter whether the statement starts with SELECT or DELETE, the important
point is whether it returns a result set or not.

See for reference:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe