Re: trigger functions with arguments

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Kev *EXTERN*" <kevinjamesfield(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trigger functions with arguments
Date: 2009-06-08 09:18:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Kev wrote:
> I came across this curious behaviour today, at least in the 2009-03-24
> beta (I can't run a newer beta), that I couldn't find in the docs,
> although maybe I missed it.

[...]

> So while that is the way to create the trigger itself, the
> trigger procedure must be created like this:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test() RETURNS trigger AS $BODY$
> my ($a, $b) = @{$_TD->{args}}; # $a and/or $b may be null, depending on how CREATE TRIGGER was used

Maybe it is hidden too well, but the documentation states in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-trigger.html

A trigger procedure is created with the CREATE FUNCTION command, declaring it
as a function with no arguments and a return type of trigger. Note that the function
must be declared with no arguments even if it expects to receive arguments
specified in CREATE TRIGGER - trigger arguments are passed via TG_ARGV,
as described below.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe