Re: [Patch] Binary Transfer v12

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Mikko Tiihonen *EXTERN*" <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>
Cc: "Jesper Pedersen *EXTERN*" <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)jboss(dot)org>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch] Binary Transfer v12
Date: 2009-06-03 09:14:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
>> Did you test it with both little-endian and big-endian servers?
>> With 32-bit and 64-bit servers?
>
> I have only tested with 64bit amd64 servers.

[...]
> But now you got me wondering...
>
> The protocol messages itself are well defined, but I cannot find any
> documentation about the data value contents because there is no official
> documentation. I had to just guess how the values are stored. Based on the data
> type byte sizes in database, for example look here:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/datatype-datetime.html

Unfortunately I don't know the implementation details.
Maybe binary values come as they are on disk, see the note in the COPY
documentation:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-copy.html

I have a (big-endian) AIX machine where I could test it as soon as the
patch is in. Is there a convenient test program?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe