Re: accessing user table structures from SQL

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Vincent Predoehl *EXTERN*" <vpredoehl(at)phoenixwebgroup(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: accessing user table structures from SQL
Date: 2009-01-20 08:33:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Vincent Predoehl wrote:
> Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:33 AM
> Does postgresql have a system table that has the table
> structure of user tables, like systables and sysobjects in MS
> SQL Server?

All the details about database objects are in the system catalogs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/catalogs.html

but, unless you need implementation specific details, most
of the time you are better off with the standard SQL
information schema:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/information-schema.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe