Re: namespace in pgsql

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Bhavik *EXTERN*" <bhavikdbavishi(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: namespace in pgsql
Date: 2008-09-25 13:04:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Bhavik wrote:
> I am newbie for pgsql..... Im using Solaris.....
>
> 1) Is it possible to have namespace like in OOP, in pgsql query.....
> means as I know we can reference table or its column with fashion like
> <schema>.<table_name>, but is it possible like
> <db_name>.<schema>.<table_name> ???
>
> 2) Is it fine if I store all data in one db ( well most of the table
> with 2000+ rows ) ? OR better to created 2-3 dbs and store those
> tables...
>
> Thanks in advance...... (" ,)

When connected to one PostgreSQL database, you cannot access data
stored in another PostgreSQL database, even if it is in the same
database cluster.

If you need to select from several tables from an application and
perhaps join them, you should have them in one database.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

PS: There is dblink, but I think that's not what you want to know.