Re: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend

From: "Albe Laurenz *EXTERN*" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Albretch Mueller *EXTERN*" <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend
Date: 2008-05-07 06:59:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> I am having a problem with PG I don't quite understand. I know the
> server is running but I am getting exceptions as it is not. The
> exception is thrown exactly after setting the parameters of a
> preparedStatement, when I try to execute the query
> ~
> ResultSet RS = PSt.executeQuery();
> ~
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.
> at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:218)

> I do know PG is running in my box:

That sounds like your backend is dying or something...

I would set the following in postgresql.conf on the server and reload:

log_statement=all
log_min_error_statement=ERROR
log_min_messages=ERROR
log_connections=on
log_disconnections=on

Then look what shows up in the server log.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

PS: Really "Albretch"? Not "Albrecht"?