Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Jordan Henderson" <jordan_henders(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>, "Doug McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date: 2003-10-31 00:51:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If it is possible for a human with knowledge of this domain to make good
decisions, it ought to be possible to store the same information into an
algorithm that operates off of collected statistics. After some time
has elapsed, and an average access pattern of some sort has been
reached, the available resources could be divided in a fairly efficient
way. It might be nice to be able to tweak it, but I would rather have
the computer make the calculations for me.

Just a thought.