Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jason Earl" <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-21 05:04:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It does get silly at a point, but I have seen systems with 128
characters for table names, column names, etc. Some people seem to like
it. Not me. Too much typing.

> Other things tested are clearly wrong (things that are =
> NULL,

Sounds like testing for the existence of a bug.
X = NULL
X <= NULL
X >= NULL
Etc. must always test false, regardless of the contents of X. Test for
equality with NULL is a conformance error if NULL == NULL returns true.

> dates like '00-00-0000');

Not sure what that might even mean.

> results for Postgres that are
> wrong probably because they are trying a weird syntax. Etc.
>
> Things like that drive the credibility of the whole thing to
> the floor. Maybe something like this should exist for
> Postgres, but it's not crash-me. Maybe the NIST compliance
> test is adequate.

So far, I have seen three problems pointed out (out of 600+ tests).
That's 0.5% defects. Why not just drop the stupid tests, or bend them
to test for what they ought to be testing.

Besides those three, what other tests are bogus and why?