Re: INSERT performance

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Razvan Surdulescu" <surdules(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT performance
Date: 2003-10-31 19:51:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Cygwin?
It will be faster under Linux.

500 records in 12 seconds is about 42/second. Hard to know if that is
good or bad. Is the machine under heavy use? Are the records extremely
long?

You can still use the copy command as an API. It will be faster than
the inserts, but there are (of course) caveats with its use.
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/libpq-copy.html

Provide the SQL that defines the table and its indexes.

Provide the cardinality of the table.

Provide the average machine load during the insert operation.

Probably, you can get better answers if you provide more information.

What kind of disk drives do you have on your machine? (More
importantly, where does PostgreSQL data reside?)