Re: NUMERIC x VARCHAR

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: galvao(at)galvao(dot)eti(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NUMERIC x VARCHAR
Date: 2004-08-11 07:41:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Aug 11, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Er Galvão Abbott wrote:

> It will. As I've said I wont be storing any symbols.

It won't store leading zeros, however. This may or may not be an issue
for you.

test=# create table tel (name_id integer not null, tel_numeric
numeric(15) not null, tel_varchar varchar(15) not null);
CREATE TABLE
test=# insert into tel (name_id, tel_numeric, tel_varchar) values
(1,012345678911234, '012345678911234');
INSERT 17153 1
test=# select * from tel;
name_id | tel_numeric | tel_varchar
1 | 12345678911234 | 012345678911234
(1 row)

I would do as another poster suggested: create a telephone number
domain as text with the check constraints you desire.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com