Postgresql issue: FATAL: dsa_allocate could not find 7 free pages

From: Alexandre Assouad <alexandre(dot)assouad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql issue: FATAL: dsa_allocate could not find 7 free pages
Date: 2018-10-25 13:21:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I’m facing an issue on a particular query.
I’m getting this error:
FATAL: dsa_allocate could not find 7 free pages

Some users have faced this issue which seems to be a bug in postgresql query planner which should be solved :
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D1k7sYJbxoOSJcS-4ti2MHOnBXBfLf%3D-gtuFLTXPqvTDg%40mail.gmail.com

But I’m still facing this issue.
I’m using postgresql 10.5 on ubuntu 18.04
With timescaledb extension (which could be involved in this bug but I couldn’t find any related issue on their side)

This could be related to the number of parallel Bitmap Heat scan. If I reduce the amount of data to analyze, the query works.

One work around is to disable parraller workers with:
set max_parallel_workers_per_gather to 0;
With that changes, the query works as expected and I’ve got this query plan :

I’ve attached the failing query plan and working query plan (with max_parallel_workers_per_gather set to 0)

Thanks for your help