Re: Postgres with pthread

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com,james <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>,Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>,pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres with pthread
Date: 2017-12-27 10:08:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On December 27, 2017 11:05:52 AM GMT+01:00, james <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> wrote:
> > All threads are blocked in semaphores.
>That they are blocked is inevitable - I guess the issue is that they
>are
>thrashing.
>I guess it would be necessary to separate the internals to have some
>internal queueing and effectively reduce the number of actively
>executing threads.
>In effect make the connection pooling work internally.
>
>Would it be possible to make the caches have persistent (functional)
>data structures - effectively CoW?
>
>And how easy would it be to abort if the master view had subsequently
>changed when it comes to execution?

Optimizing for this seems like a pointless exercise. If the goal is efficient processing of 100k connections the solution is a session / connection abstraction and a scheduler. Optimizing for this amount of concurrency just will add complexity and slowdowns for a workload that nobody will run.

Andres