Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Yeb Havinga" <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, "w(dot)p(dot)dijkstra(at)mgrid(dot)net" <w(dot)p(dot)dijkstra(at)mgrid(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child
Date: 2010-12-01 16:27:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec1, 2010, at 17:11 , Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> BTW, my "serializable_lock_consisteny" patch would allow you to do
>> this purely within pl/pgsql in a race-condition free way. So if
>> that patch should get applied you might want to consider this as a
>> workaround. Whether it will get applied is yet to be seen, though
>> - currently there doesn't seem to be unanimous vote one way or the
>> other.
>
> I don't recall seeing any objections to your patch. Do you have a
> reference to a post that argues against it?

Tom expressed his doubts in http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-05/msg00699.php pretty clearly. He hasn't weighted in since then AFAIK, so I don't know if his objection still stands. But I still figured a word of warning would be indicated, to prevent the OP from relying on my proposed workaround as long as it might still fail to materialize.

best regards,
Florian Pflug