Collation and Case Insensitivity

From: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(at)softworks(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Collation and Case Insensitivity
Date: 2011-01-13 14:33:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Im moving over from MS SQL. I've been googling this for ages now and suprisingly cannot find a clear answer.

I want my data in tables to be case insensitive.

This is so i can:

1. Put keys on natural key fields, for instance a product part number. I product number 'ABC123' inserted i need to disallow 'abc123' to be inserted as a second row. Please don't tell me i have to add another column holding a lowered version of the product number. My database is littered with this need and i would end up bloating my table schema.

2. I need to query case insensitively. SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_number = 'ABC123' should return the same row as SELECT * FROM product WHERE product_number = 'abc123'

Is there a database wide collation setting i can make. There are lots of online posts regarding using LOWER function for querying. This is a workaround for point (2) but does not remedy point (1) above.

Many thanks

Phillip

Phillip Smith