Re: Need some urgent help.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Naveen Kaul" <naveenk(at)systelinc(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need some urgent help.
Date: 2002-05-27 10:13:34
Lists: pgadmin-support

-----Original Message-----
From: Naveen Kaul [mailto:naveenk(at)systelinc(dot)com]
Sent: 27 May 2002 11:10
To: Dave Page; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Need some urgent help.

Hi Dave,

I have a problem with postgres. One of my table hold about
65,000 records. If I use the simple select * on this table, the pgadmin
tool hangs and the postgres throws up the following exception.

"NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and
exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your
query.
before or while processing the request."

I wonder what could be wrong. I increased the the buffer size
from 256 to 512. Still the same thing.

I don't know what would cause this (pgAdmin will load over 65535 records
so it's not a 16 bit overflow at the client end), as you say though, the
message is coming from PostgreSQL, not pgAdmin - perhaps someone on
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org may have some idea?

Sorry I can't be more help.

Regards, Dave.