parallel foreign scan

From: Manuel Kniep <m(dot)kniep(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: parallel foreign scan
Date: 2018-05-15 21:09:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear hackers,

I’m working on a foreign database wrapper for Kafka [1]
Now I am trying to make it parallel aware. Following
the documentation [2]
However it seems that I can’t make it use more than a
single worker with force_parallel_mode = on.

I wonder if I need to do more than just implementing the
needed callback function to benefit from multiple workers.

Looking at create_foreignscan_path in path_nodes.c
I found that the ForeignPath seems to always set

pathnode->path.parallel_aware = false;
pathnode->path.parallel_safe = rel->consider_parallel;
pathnode->path.parallel_workers = 0;

Do I need so set these in my GetForeignPaths callback manually?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

Manuel

[1] https://github.com/adjust/kafka_fdw <https://github.com/adjust/kafka_fdw/blob/master/src/kafka_fdw.c>