How does one impolement lists, or arrays, pin pl/pgsql ?

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How does one impolement lists, or arrays, pin pl/pgsql ?
Date: 2007-06-29 19:16:13
Lists: pgsql-general

How does one implement a simple, general purpose, assignable array (or
list) in pl/pgsql? From what I've found/read, it appears that you can
declare static, read-only arrays. I'm guessing (and please correct if
I'm wrong), PG does not support modifyable arrays. Rather, one might
consider defining a temporary table and using sql to insert/select
to/from it. True?