monitoring fragmentation

From: "Kasia Tuszynska" <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: monitoring fragmentation
Date: 2008-01-30 18:33:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hi Everybody,

I am searching for a pg_xxxxx view that would allow me to view the
properties of an index.
- the fillfactor it was created with
- the amount of free space on a page(s) storing the index ( assuming
that it was created with a fillfactor and the index has incurred updates
since the creation taking up some space reserved by the fillfactor
during the load).

The usage of a fillfactor nor fragmentation info does not get displayed
in pgAdminIII. In SQL Server 2005 the analogous views would be:
Obcc showcontig and sys.dm_index_physical_stats

Perhaps there is another way to determine fragmentation of indexes in
Postgres, any hint would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Kasia