Re: Allow backend to output result sets in XML

From: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Brian Moore <brianmooreca(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow backend to output result sets in XML
Date: 2004-01-23 03:04:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 21, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think "output XML" is just buzz. Give us a real use scenario and an
> indication that a majority also has that use scenario (vs. the other
> ones listed above), then we can talk.

I do this all the time.

I have JDBC code to take a java.sql.ResultSet and push out SAX events
in a standard schema. I also have a XSLT stylesheet that formats them
in a decent way. In this manner, it's very easy for me to make
database-driven webpages. I can inherit the "normal" stylesheet and
then just code the exceptions.

However, I'm quite happy doing this on the client side. I'm not sure
why it would be beneficial to do this as part of the PostgreSQL server.

Scott Lamb