guids / bytea and index use ?

From: "Paul Newman" <pnewman(at)tripoint(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: guids / bytea and index use ?
Date: 2005-05-20 10:58:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

We are currently using a 32byte varchar for our primary keys. We tried
to reduce this down to 16 bytes but varchar didn't seem to store this
correctly. I'd like to use bytea instead so we could use 16bytes, but
are indexes used properly ? Does anyone have any other suggestions on
how to store guids ? We don't have any experience in recompiling the
postgres source code etc.

Thanks

Paul Newman