Visual Studio 2005 not happy with postgresql

From: "Tobias Britz" <tobias(dot)britz(at)ersystems(dot)ch>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Visual Studio 2005 not happy with postgresql
Date: 2005-11-15 15:07:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi community!

Here is my problem:

* Postgresql 8.1 installed on windows XP (machine 1) with DB up
and running. I can access/change/see all my tables, etc with EMS
Postgresql manager
* On Machine 2 (windows XP) I've installed the pg ODBC drivers
8.01.01 and created a System DSN to machine 1
* I tested this DSN with MS Access, and I could see my tables, add
items, launch queries
* Now, I need to use Visual Studio 2005 (with .Net 2.0) for our
project and would like to be able to create XSD files visually (using
the VS2005 built-in tools). In VS2005 Server Explorer, I created a new
Database Connection, using the Microsoft ODBC Data Source (ODBC) with
the .Net ODBC Data Provider selected. Pointed the thing to my working
ODBC DSN and tested the connection
* Connection works (says VS2005)
* Now I have a new Data Connection in the Server Explorer, with 3
tree entries; Tables, Views, Procedures. My problem is that "Tables" is
empty, "Views" is empty but "Procedures" contains hundreds of postgres
functions.
* I would like to see my tables and views!

Remark:

* I tried OLEDB, whitout success either. VS2005 says that there
where "some" errors and that "no work could be done"... cool he?!

Can someone please help me, as I've lost already 2 days figuring out
what is going wrong here. I google nearly every forum about that..

Thanks in advance,

Tobias Britz
ER Systems SA