Re: multi-platform, multi-locale regression tests

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multi-platform, multi-locale regression tests
Date: 2010-11-09 22:00:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> One possible way out is not to include these tests in the main test set
> and instead require manual invocation.
>
> Better ideas?

I've been talking to Nasby and Dunstan about adding a Test::More/pgTAP-based test suite to the core. It wouldn't run with the usual core suite used by developers, which would continue to use pg_regress. But they could run it if they wanted (and had the prerequisites), and the build farm animals would run them regularly.

The nice thing about using a TAP-based framework is that you can skip tests that don't meet platform requirements, and compare values within the tests, right where you write them, rather than in a separate file. You can also dynamically change how you compare things depending on the environment, such as the locales that vary on different platforms.

Thoughts?

Best,

David