Re: How to keep format of views source code as entered?

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, raf <raf(at)raf(dot)org>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to keep format of views source code as entered?
Date: 2021-01-14 06:16:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Laurenz,

> On 14. Jan, 2021, at 04:59, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
> If PostgreSQL were to store the original text, either that text would become
> wrong, or you would have to forbid renaming of anything that is referenced
> by a view.

this is why views, procedures, functions and packages can become invalid in Oracle, which I really hate because as a DBA, it's almost impossible to quickly see (or in fact see at all) why this happens, or having to debug applications that you don't know and/or can't fix anyway. Oracle's invalid object concept doesn't make sense.

So, I'm not at all in favor of saving the original statement text.

Cheers,
Paul