Re: strange postgresql x mysql comparison in forrester analyse

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange postgresql x mysql comparison in forrester analyse
Date: 2009-10-17 11:51:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 16 Oct 2009, at 23:18, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>> And later:
>>
>> "support for high availability, security, performance, manageability,
>> and integration with applications."
>>
>> PostgreSQL *is* weak.
>
> [snip]
>
> What can be done to get Pg this kind of cred? Can developers be
> attracted who have a hunch about how to make PostgreSQL a little more
> streamlined from that angle? Or should the community as a whole,
> perhaps, aim for more general «end user friendliness»?
>
> Or, are we satisfied with keeping Pg as a fringe product, made by and
> for geeks?

Just to add in another point of view - these Oracle or dare I say it
MS SQL type features are great for comparing databases in a top trumps
fashion but they're not the only way of expanding the scope of what
Postgres is used for. I create postgres apps using an agile, i.e.
quick development platform I developed that's now open source. I'm
talking about it at PGday.EU. For certain entrepreneurial
organisations or those in changing environments, the ability to use
rapid prototyping / development of databases is more important than
having the highest TPC benchmark. In fact, Oracle also are into this,
for example I think they've won the www.radrace.org competition a few
times.

Having said that, my argument has always been that using postgres does
give built in scalability should things take off with your app, even
though smaller companies don't have to invest at the start in
licenses. If you suddenly get an exponential increase in simultaneous
users, there is an inbuilt ability to handle it. I think there's
another talk at the conference on this topic too - looking forward to
it. I'm not going to complain if Pg continues development on this road.

Oliver Kohll
oliver(at)gtwm(dot)co(dot)uk / 0845 456 1810 / 07814 828608
www.gtportalbase.com