Re: How to create nightly backups in Linux

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to create nightly backups in Linux
Date: 2006-09-28 16:19:38
Lists: pgsql-general

----Original Message----
From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Andrus Sent:
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:17 PM To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] How to create nightly backups in Linux

> I'm using the the following scheduler script to create nightly
> backups in
> Windows:
>
> set pgpassword=mypass
> set FILENAME=%DATE:~8,4%%DATE:~5,2%%DATE:~2,2%mybackup.backup
> "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\pg_dump.exe" -i -Z9 -b -v -f
> "%FILENAME%" -F c -h localhost -U postgres mydb
>
> I'm bit new to Linux. I'm using white-box linux and Postgres 8.1.4
> How to create backups of database with unique name in every night ?
> Is there some script sample which can be called from /etc/crontab ?

While Windows normally has just a single batch language, Linux has many
to choose from. How you accomplish this depends on the shell language
you are using. Since you are new, I'll guess you are using bash, which
is normally the default. Here is a shell script that generates a file
name with a date on the end:

#!/bin/bash
FILEDATE=MyFileName-`date +%Y-%m-%d`
echo $FILEDATE

Enter these lines into file, e.g., filedate.sh. To make this file
executable, at a command prompt, type "chmod +x filedate.sh". Unlike
Windows, file types (e.g., executable vs text) are not determined by
their extensions, so you need to explicitly tell Linux this file can be
executed. Having done that, you can now run it: "./filedate.sh".

--
Guy Rouillier