Re: Re: Which qsort is used

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Which qsort is used
Date: 2005-12-17 06:43:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

reverse-order
> input ... where "sucks" means that it spends O(N^2) time. But it
spends
> O(N^2) in the average case, too.

I agree that in general these checks are not important and they
complicate what is a simple and elegant algorithm.

The cases where the checks are important (highly ordered data sets) are
rare and so the value added is minimal.

I am actually quite impressed with the excellence of Bentley's sort out
of the box. It's definitely the best library implementation of a sort I
have seen.