Re: [GENERAL] 'a' == 'a '

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com>, <general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 'a' == 'a '
Date: 2005-10-25 01:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

According to the standard, comparisons against character types are
supposed to PAD with either <space> or <PAD CHAR> according to the
collating sequence and not according to the data type.

Since the padding behavior of PosgreSQL comparisons for character types
is different according to the data type and not the collating sequence,
what is needed is simply to define the collating sequence used for
different character types.