Re: Selecting a constant question

From: "Larry McGhaw" <lmcghaw(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Selecting a constant question
Date: 2007-06-12 07:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Again, the issue is not our tool, but the deficiency in libpq/postgres ... even mysql gets its right .. why not Postgres?

Its not hard for a database to report metadata properly.

if I issue a sql statement:
select '123' from <any table>
the database should report that the maximum length of the 1st column in the resultset is 3 ... it cant be any more plain than that.

Thanks

lm