Re: Database monitor (again)

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Edson Vilhena de Carvalho" <edson_jvc(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database monitor (again)
Date: 2005-03-31 19:20:25
Lists: pgsql-general

First, let us consider what is already available. Here are some tools
that perform similar purposes to what you are proposing:

1. Transaction monitor (requires custom modifications to PostgreSQL):
http://starccm.sourceforge.net/

2. Statistics monitor (this is built in to the product):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-stats.html

3. You can examine the database locks here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/monitoring-locks.html

4. This is a very nice general purpose administration tool:
http://www.pgadmin.org/

I think something like SQL*Server's sp_who might be useful:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref
/ts_sp_wa-wz_3v8v.asp

I think intrusion detection would be nice. If (for instance) it appears
that a denial of service attack was going on, it would be good to log
the ip of the offending process.

Some more esoteric things that would be handy:
1. Index creation suggester that watches column access and notices
frequent filtered table scans that could benefit from an index. It
would give the SQL to create the suggested index. A setting could allow
automatic creation of indexes, if usage passes a user given threshold.
2. Index type suggester that notices that a hashed index would be of
benefit or a btree or an rtree or whatever.
3. Graphical tools that will depict table or query usage as a bar chart
to show where the majority of the time is going.

Probably others can think up a lot more.

Since I am not sure about the scope of your project, it is hard for me
to know what might be a good suggestion.