complie error on windows

From: "Claiborne, Aldemaco Earl (Al)" <claiborne(at)lucent(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: complie error on windows
Date: 2003-01-03 15:43:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am trying to install postgresql-7.3 on windows and I keep getting the following error despite having downloaded a compiler. Can anyone tell me what I am not doing right? I am a newbie to postgres and development. My ultimate goal is to create a data driven application utilizing the J2EE architecture.

$ ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with 64-bit integer date/time support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether NLS is wanted... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Thanks,

Al