Re: Issue with the PRNG used by Postgres

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Parag Paul <parag(dot)paul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with the PRNG used by Postgres
Date: 2024-04-11 05:52:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10 Apr 2024, at 21:48, Parag Paul <parag(dot)paul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the probability of this happening is astronomical, but in production with 128 core servers with 7000 max_connections, with petabyte scale data, this did repro 2 times in the last month. We had to move to a local approach to manager our ratelimiting counters.

FWIW we observed such failure on this [0] LWLock two times too. Both cases were recent (February).
We have ~15k clusters with 8MTPS, so it’s kind of infrequent, but not astronomic. We decided to remove that lock.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://github.com/munakoiso/logerrors/pull/25/files#diff-f8903c463a191f399b3e84c815ed6dc60adbbfc0fb0b2db490be1e58dc692146L85