Re: ECPG thread success (kind of) on Linux

From: AgentM <agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG thread success (kind of) on Linux
Date: 2003-06-27 01:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

According to POSIX 1003.1c-1995, no such mutex-altering function exists.

pthread_mutexattr_get/settype(...) functions are defined by X/Open XSH5
(Unix98). I would suggest writing a wrapper for OSs that don't
implement recursive locks (it's easy enough to make your own
implementation- just check pthread_self() before deciding whether to
lock the mutex- potentially again). Either that or the recursive locks
can be eliminated.

Just for the record, OS X, Solaris 5.8, FreeBSD 4.8, and LinuxThreads
support the UNIX98 version, so perhaps this isn't so important after
all.