Re: invalid memory alloc request size error with commit 4b93f579

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalid memory alloc request size error with commit 4b93f579
Date: 2018-02-27 05:44:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 27 Feb 2018, at 11:10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>>> On 27 Feb 2018, at 05:25, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> BTW, I noticed while doing this that the adjacent "funny_dup17"
>>> trigger is dead code, and has been since commit 1547ee01 of
>>> 1999-09-29. I'm inclined to rip it out, because anyone looking
>>> at regress.c would naturally assume that anything in there is
>>> being exercised.
>
>> +1, yes please. regress_dist_ptpath() and regress_path_dist() in regress.c
>> also seem to be dead, and have been so for.. quite some time.
>
> Yeah. Looking at
> https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/test/regress/regress.c.gcov.html
> it's evident that none of these functions are actually exercised
> in the regression tests:

Aha, that was a more clever way of figuring it out than what I did.

> I'm inclined to just remove regress_dist_ptpath, regress_path_dist,
> poly2path, boxarea, and funny_dup17. The others might better be dealt
> with by making some actual use of them, since those type and operator
> creation commands seem to have some test value of their own.

Agreed.

> I notice BTW that int44in and int44out are not inverses, ie int44out
> produces a string that int44in can't read :-(. We'd definitely have to
> fix that if we wanted to make any real use of the type.

Thats not nice given that the names imply that, but I agree that it’s not
something that needs to be changed given its current usecase. That probably
warrants a comment in regress.c and/or the create_type test suite though.

cheers ./daniel