Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?

From: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <eulerto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>, "Jim Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why don't we allow DNS names in pg_hba.conf?
Date: 2006-01-03 18:08:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The issue is folks that DON'T set reverse DNS, I.E. have generic rDNS
set on their IP's.

I've seen (in my ISP days, and on my mailserver) LOTS of folks that
can't/won't update
Their rDNS, even though it's a STATICLY assigned address.

And, as an example, my house IP changes when the PPPoE moves, and I have
a DynDns.org
Hostname that changes to support that, as well as a CNAME out of my
domain to
Point to it.

Just more things to think about.

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX 78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.459.1309
Email: Larry(dot)Rosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com
Web: www.pervasive.com