Re: effective_cache_size vs units

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Date: 2006-12-20 06:06:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 19, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> On 12/19/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think we should just accept the strings case-insensitively, too.
>
> While acknowledging Peter's pedantically-correct points, I say +1 for
> ease of use.

+1. I spend some time walking people through tuning issues
by phone or IM. Anything that complicates supporting users or
frustrates users for no actual benefit is a bad thing.

(And this is unrelated to any theoretical units-aware data type -
we might well be interested in milliwatts and megawatts in a
datatype, but in the configuration file we're unlikely to ever
need to configure things in units of millibits).

Cheers,
Steve