Dump produces file with new line characters

From: "Mark Spruill" <mark(dot)spruill(at)mightyautoparts(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dump produces file with new line characters
Date: 2004-06-23 20:03:13
Lists: pgsql-general

This is probably a newbie question but here goes:

We are using Postgres 7.3 on Red Hat 9. We are doing dumps with a script that does:

pg_dump databasename > outfile 2>> logfile

The resulting dump files occasionally have a \N at the end of a line of data following the copy command. This causes a problem when I try to load them back in bacause psql thinks the \N (a new line character?) is a psql command. So, how do I avoid the \N in the dump and/or ignore it in the reload?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark Spruill

770.448.3900
mark(dot)spruill(at)mightyautoparts(dot)com