Re: wxWidgets alert at start

From: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jwa(at)wahlstedt(dot)fi>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets alert at start
Date: 2007-08-06 17:02:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 6.8.2007, at 13.47, Dave Page wrote:

> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>>
>> Think I found the foobarization...
>
> Agreed.
>
>> So I least at that point I was aware that we are walking on thin
>> ice with
>> how we integrate pg_dump and friends into the bundle. Seems that
>> using a
>> version of libpq that doesn't link to the system provided libssl,
>> but to
>> a custom version instead (and thereby breaking that "doesn't have
>> dependencies
>> that live inside the pgadmin bundle" assumtion)is enough to let
>> the ice
>> break.
>
> Or any library not directly linked to the executable itself.
>
>> The only really correct fix would be to use @loader_path instead of
>> @executable_path when referencing shared libraries (@loader_path
>> is the
>> path of the image *requireing* the lib, instead of the top-level
>> executable) -
>> but that means dropping support for 10.3 :-(.
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure we should do that just yet.
>
>> One alternative that I can
>> see is
>> to put pg_dump and friends into Contents/SharedSupport directly -
>> that way,
>> the relative path from pg_dump to Contents/Frameworks is that same
>> as for
>> main pgAdmin executeable (which lives in Contents/MacOS). Not exactly
>> pretty,
>> but hey, who looks into the bundle anyway?
>
> :-)
>
> Jyrki; the attached patch should implement what Florian is
> suggesting -
> can you test it please? Make sure you run the bootstrap script, and to
> be on the safe side, remove your preferences file as well.
>
> Thanks, Dave
<patch snipped>
Hi,
I was and I suppose you are very happy that now everything seems to
be working again! Thank you a lot and very much and million times!
Solving this problem was not straightforward…

PS I didn't remove the preferences (seems that I like to take risks
now and then:-).
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
! http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0 A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386