Re: Emit namespace in post-copy output

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mike Fiedler <miketheman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Emit namespace in post-copy output
Date: 2021-07-28 14:15:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I took a look at this I agree with the reviewer that it's a good change. The
output from multiple jobs in vacuumdb is clearly easier to parse with this
since the initial LOG and later DETAIL can be interleaved with other relations
of the same name in other namespaces.

+ get_namespace_name(RelationGetNamespace(OldHeap)),

Since get_namespace_name() returns a palloced string, this will lead to a 2x
leak of the namespace length as opposed to the 1x of today. While hardly a big
deal, it seems prudent to cap this by storing the returned string locally now
that we need it twice.

I've updated the patch with this, see the attached v2. Barring objections I
will go ahead with this.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Emit-namespace-in-the-post-copy-errmsg.patch application/octet-stream 3.7 KB